Election of Board of Trustees

The Granger-Hunter Improvement District has a three member Board of Trustees which constitutes the policy-making body of the District. These Trustees are elected by the voters who reside within the District boundaries. An election occurs during each odd-numbered year (ie. 2017, 2019, 2021).

How to Become a Candidate for the Board (Trustee) Election

To run for the office of Trustee and have your name placed on the election ballot, you must 1) file a Declaration of Candidacy form, IN PERSON, with the District Clerk OR 2) have a Nomination Petition filed in your behalf. The Declaration form must be done in person during regular office hours (M - F, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm) at the District office located at 2888 South 3600 West, West Valley City, Utah because the filer must affirm that he/she meets the candidate qualifications. The filing period typically occurs from June 1 to June 7 of odd-numbered years. However, because the State Legislature periodically changes the election code, it is recommended you check this site regularly for updated information or call the District Clerk at 801-968-3551.

If a person will be absent during the June 1 Ė 7 filing period but still wishes to file.they may complete (or have someone complete for them) and submit a Nomination Petition, whereby they must obtain .a minimum of 25 signatures from residents of the Granger-Hunter Improvement District who are at least 18 years old and who nominate the person for the Trustee position. The petition shall be in substantially the following form:


The undersigned residents of Granger-Hunter Improvement District, being 18 years old or older, nominate (Name of nominee) to the office of Trustee for the four-year term.

Name of Resident           Signature           Address           Phone Number

Then provide lines and columns for the name and signature of each person signing the petition and their address and telephone number.

The completed nomination petition must be received by the District Clerk or his appointed representative within the above-noted filing period (June 1 to June 7).

Candidate Qualifications

  1. Be a United States citizen at the time of filing.
  2. Be a registered voter (see qualifications below for registered voter).
  3. Be a resident within the boundaries of Granger-Hunter Improvement District.

Qualifications to be a registered voter

  1. Be a United States citizen.
  2. Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next general (November) election.
  3. Have resided in Utah at least 30 days immediately before the next election..
  4. Not be a convicted felon currently incarcerated or a mentally incompetent person whose right to hold elective office has not been restored. (Pursuant to Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any person convicted of a felony, treason, or crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to vote or hold office is restored as provided by statute.)

Trustee Term of Office

The term of office for each Trustee shall be four years and shall begin at noon on the first day of January following the memberís election or appointment. The terms of two of the Trustees shall expire simultaneously and the third memberís term shall expire two years later. There is not a limit to the number of terms a Trustee may serve. In 2017 there will be two Trustees elected.

*If you have election related questions or need additional information regarding District elections, please contact the District Clerk (Kim Coleman) at 2888 South 3600 West, West Valley City, Utah, by phone at (801) 968-3551, or by email.