In 2019 the state of Utah reported that the gallons per capita per day (GPCD) was 223 gallons. That means that every person in the state of Utah uses an average of 223 gallons per day. Both indoor and outdoor water usage is factored into that total.
At Granger-Hunter Improvement District (GHID), it is estimated that each resident only uses 162 gallons of water per day.
Based on the 2021 census data, the average household size in West Valley is about 2.3 people. (2.3 people per household x 162 gpcd = 372.6 gallons per day)
That means that the average household at GHID uses about 11,000 gallons of water a month. More accurately, we see that households tend to use about 7,000 gallons of water per month in the wintertime and about 20,000 gallons of water per month in the summertime when sprinklers are turned on.
Water usage is always printed on the monthly bill; however, GHID has an even better way of tracking water usage through digital water meters. These smart meters have been installed so customers can monitor personal daily water usage through a Water Usage Portal accessible on our website at ghid.org. Not only can customers see their usage every hour, but they can also set up alerts to be notified when water consumption exceeds any amount they set.
When we consider everything we use water for, such as washing clothes, bathing, drinking, flushing toilets, swimming, watering gardens, etc., we see how it can really start adding up. Approximately 55% of GHID water is used outdoors.
We must be able to use the water we NEED but make sure we are using it wisely. Water is being wasted every day when we do not fix water leaks, take long showers, allow the faucet to run while brushing our teeth or overwater our grass.
To conserve water, water usage needs to be LESS than we are using now. Anything we do to reduce will help. Specifically, ensuring outdoor water use is appropriate to the type of landscaping we have, or reducing the amount of grass we have in our yards.
At the end of this Q & A, I have listed some great water saving tips that would save a lot of water if we would all put them into practice.
The majority of GHID water supply (about 75%) comes from Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District who is a wholesale provider. They get their water mostly from Deer Creek and Jordanelle Reservoirs filled by snow melt. The rest of GHID water supply (about 25%) comes from underground aquafers accessible through our eight wells.
Absolutely! However, growth is important for the economy, so we need to find ways to make it work. Many cities have adopted Water Efficiency Standards to limit the amount of grass that can be installed at new developments while still maintaining city beautification. Since a large amount of Utah water is used outdoors, it is important that we install water efficient plants and are wise with landscaping designs.
Daily water usage is recorded through electronic smart meters to cellular towers. We use that data to bill customers, but we also use it to help customers determine if they have a water leak in their home such as a toilet or water softener, on their sprinkling system or even on their water main. Feel free to visit our office where we have meters on display and would be happy to show you how they work.
This data is also recorded and evaluated to determine the amount of water that is lost through our system. Yearly water consumption totals are reported to the state of Utah.
Yes! We all play a role in conserving water. There are many websites available that have lists of ways to save water. Slowtheflow.org and Utahwatersavers.com are very useful. You can also:
- Check for leaks in your home, especially toilets
- Take shorter showers
- Water plants with leftover water from cooking pasta or vegetables
- Water dry spots on your lawn by hand or wash your pet on that dry spot
- Set lawnmower blades higher. Longer grass reduces evaporation
- Instead of letting children run through sprinklers, take them to a public splash pad or pool
- Turn off your sprinklers if rain is in the forecast
- Use a broom to clean driveways rather than hosing them off
- Invest in high efficiency washing machines and WasterSense labeled fixtures and toilets
- Run your dishwasher only when it is full
Most of all, help spread the message. When people are educated on the reasons why we need to conserve this limited resource, we all benefit.