The Granger-Hunter Improvement District has a three member Board of Trustees which constitutes the policy-making body of the District. These Trustees are elected by the voters who reside within the District boundaries. An election occurs during each odd-numbered year (ie. 2021, 2023, 2025).
2021 Election Dates and Deadlines2021 Election Calendar
How to Become a Candidate for the Board (Trustee) Election
To run for the office of Trustee and have your name placed on the election ballot, you must file a Declaration of Candidacy form with the District Clerk. The Declaration form must be done IN PERSON during office hours (M - F, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm) at the District office located at 2888 South 3600 West, West Valley City, Utah because the filer must personally affirm that he/she meets the candidate qualifications. The filing period typically occurs from June 1 to June 7 of odd-numbered years. However, because the State Legislature periodically changes the election code, it is recommended you check this site regularly for updated information or call the District Clerk at 801-968-3551.
- Be a United States citizen at the time of filing.
- Be a registered voter at the location of the candidate's residence (see qualifications for registered voter below).
- Be a resident within the boundaries of Granger-Hunter Improvement District.
Qualifications to be a registered voter
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next general election.
- Have resided in Utah at least 30 days immediately before the next election.
- Not be a convicted felon currently incarcerated or a mentally incompetent person whose right to hold elective office has not been restored. (Pursuant to Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any person convicted of a felony, treason, or crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to vote or hold office is restored as provided by statute.)
Trustee Term of Office
The term of office for each Trustee shall be four (4) years and shall begin at noon on the first day of January following the member’s election or appointment. The terms of two of the Trustees shall expire simultaneously and the third member’s term shall expire two years later. There is not a limit to the number of terms a Trustee may serve. In 2021 there will be two Trustees elected.
Granger-Hunter Improvement District contracts with the Salt Lake County Clerk’s office for election services. The Clerk’s office has done a by-mail-only election for the past few years. Ballots will be mailed the week of July 19th for the Primary election. GHID typically does not participate in the Primary election. Ballots for the General election will be mailed the week of October 11th, and will include GHID candidates, unless we have no more than one candidate file for each vacant position, in which case there will be no need for a GHID election. If you are a registered voter and do not receive your ballot close to the above-noted dates, please contact the County Clerk’s office at 385-GOT-VOTE (385-468-8683) or by email at email@example.com.
To obtain information about Early Voting, In-Office Voting, by-mail voting, candidates, and other election questions you may have, please see the Salt Lake County Clerk’s website at https://slco.org/clerk/. You may also contact the District Clerk (Austin Ballard) at 2888 South 3600 West, West Valley City, Utah, by phone at (801) 968-3551, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org